“Ego is simply an idea of who you are that you carry around with you.” ~Wayne Dyer~
Ego is also defined as the part of you that is your “innermost self”, “self-esteem” or “the opinion one has of him/her self. These opinions can create a disparity between the real you and what you have been taught to believe about yourself.
Your ego feeds your desire to be accepted, acknowledged, loved, and valued born out of your connections with others – society, family and culture. While connections with others is important, it is equally important to connect with the real you rather than a distorted picture that may have been formed by outside influences.
Sometimes, your ego presents itself as a nagging, relentless voice that cast doubt, criticism and devalues your ideas, choices and dreams. I’ve given my ego a name. Her name is Negative Nelly and whenever she perches on my shoulder to whisper doubt, fear or limitation, I swiftly knock her off my shoulder and send her on her way.
When your “Negative Nelly” shows up trying to make you doubtful, fearful or unsure about the choices you make, these ego friendly principles will clear the cobwebs, empower you and reveal your true self:
- Show courage – Courage is not the absence of fear. It is taking action despite fear. When faced with doubt and insecurities, resolve to be courageous and take the risk to do the thing that has you stuck in fear.
- Know your values and priorities – Make choices based on what’s most important to you. Make sure you know your values and priorities and make your choices based on the principles that guide your life.
- Have a Vision – Create a vision to pursue your dreams. Without a vision for your dreams, it will be difficult to achieve them. You must have a clear vision of what success is to you in order to work towards it.
- Allow your intuition to lead you – Your intuition is that quiet gut feeling of certainty “rightness” that arises from deep inside you. When you listen to your intuition with greater alertness and awareness, you will be able to follow it more often and feel confident that it is guiding you in the right direction.
- Fill Your wisdom cup – Wisdom and good judgment is not a measurable, quality. It is acquired over time from the accumulation of a variety of your life experiences. It is the cup you fill with life-long experiences. Learn to drink from it often and be open to filling your wisdom cup from a variety of sources.
- Follow your dreams – No matter what challenges have come your way or what obstacles you’ve faced, you can still pursue your dreams. While your dreams may be dormant, they haven’t expired! Dreams don’t have an expiration date!.
The perception you have of yourself may be rooted in a false beliefs formed early in your life. Your ego may be a blurry snapshot of the real you. However, you need not accept this distorted picture as your reality today.
If you are ready to get rid of your “Negative Nelly” and that “blurry” snapshot of who you really are, I encourage you to get my book, Master the Genie Within: Uncover, Embrace and Celebrate the Real You so you can get started right away to reveal the real you.