Get out the candles, balloons and confetti and let’s party! It’s always the time to celebrate YOU by honoring your accomplishments! Rejoice in the things you did; the things you didn’t do; and your victories – big and small.
How many times have you worked hard to get a promotion, struggled and sacrificed to loose that final 10 pounds, or passed a class with flying colors only to let the accomplishment pass by with hardly a notice?
Were you that busy or just didn’t think it worthy of celebration?
Women are notorious for downplaying the valuable and worthwhile things we do and easily forgo the significance of rewards for a job done well. Traditionally, with the exception of Mother’s Day, women don’t commemorate accomplishments such as going through a difficult time and coming out victorious; maintaining an orderly and clean household, or throwing and organizing a party with pizazz.
Men, on the other hand, have always been encouraged to observe their achievements – promotions, fatherhood, and sporting victories. Although, women are out in the world making a difference everyday, we still need to stop and remind ourselves to breathe and pat ourselves on the back for jobs well done.
So what will you do to make sure you take notice of your successes?
If you’ve completed a class, lost weight, decluttered a drawer, organized an event, volunteered or kept a commitment to yourself – you have something to celebrate NOW. And, no rewarding yourself for the good things you do is not being self indulgent or conceited. Simply put, you Celebrate the “being” of you! by taking time to acknowledge your contributions and achievements . If you’re not in the habit of doing things to Celebrate YOU, then the following can serve as a guide:
- Buy a bouquet of flowers for yourself – this is one of my favorites and you can do this not just to celebrate but anytime you need a lift.
- Delight in a day of pampering – Give someone a chance to serve you instead of the other way around. If you usually do your own hair or nails, schedule an appointment at a salon to get the pampering you deserve.
- Toot your own horn – Plan a milestone birthday party just the way you want it. Or you don’t have to wait for a birthday. Why not plan a Tuesday party and celebrate all the good things that have happened in your life on a Tuesday or a particular date in a month.
- Treat yourself to a fun activity that you rarely make time to do. For example, plan to schedule an afternoon movie marathon. Even if you spend a Sunday afternoon watching Lifetime Movies, do that – if it’s something you enjoy.
- Indulge in some deliciously sinful dessert or some other treat you usually pass up. Even while watching the calories, you can still treat yourself in moderation.
Let’s hear all the unique and creative ways you celebrate your victories! Leave your comments here on the blog.
Gladys Anderson, founder of Coach for YOUR Dreams, is a certified life coach, licensed marriage and family therapist, writer and speaker. Gladys combines years of experience, training and a genuine commitment to helping nurses, teachers, therapists and other care giving women to set limits so they have more time, and energy to devote to self-care.